Rhyming Words

Delia Culton, Mrs. Framhein, Kindergarten

Topic: Students love rhyming words.  This lesson will focus on a few things, onset/rime using rhyming words, categorizing words that rhyme and working with the book “Sheep in a Jeep” to read and write rhyming words.

Rationale: Using onset/rime for rhyming words helps students in both reading and writing when trying to figure out words they don’t know; (ex. if they know /sh/ -eep, they can sound out /st/ -eep also) Making it enjoyable with a game (“duck, Duck, Goose”) as well as a book will engage the students while still teaching them the necessary information.

Prior Knowledge: Students know of rhyming words and enjoy finding them in texts.  A few have an understanding of changing the first letter in a word to make it rhyme.  Most students will also be familiar with the story.

NJCCCS:

STANDARD 3.1 (Reading) All students will understand and apply the knowledge of sounds, letters, and words in written English to become independent and fluent readers, and will read a variety of materials and texts with fluency and comprehension.

3.1. B.2. Demonstrate phonemic awareness by rhyming, clapping syllables, and substituting sounds.

3.1. D.4. Listen and respond attentively to literary texts (e.g., nursery rhymes) and functional texts (e.g., science books).

3.1. G.2. Verbally identify the main character, setting, and important events in a story read aloud.

STANDARD 3.2 (Writing) All students will write in clear, concise, organized language that varies in content and form for different audiences and purposes.

3.2. A.7. Begin to sequence story events for writing using pictures, developmental spelling, or conventional text.

Objectives/Assessments:

1. Students will decipher words using onset/rime.

Assessment: “Duck, Duck, Goose”- if student can tell me the word when it is their turn I will be able to assess who understands onset/rime.

1. Students will categorize rhyming words based on the words’ sound and spelling.

Assessment:  Each individual student will have to place their word on the board under the correct rhyme category.  I will correct the students who are wrong and be able to assess whether the student understands the rhyme scheme.

1. Students will recognize and recall the beginning, middle and end of a story using pictures and sentence strips.

Assessment: I will check the students’ worksheet of beginning, middle and end sentences to make sure they match with the correct parts of the story.

1. Students will recognize rhyming as changing the first letter sound of a word only.

Assessment: Students will use the name song to rhyme with their own name and fill it in on a worksheet so I can check that they understand the concept of only changing the first letter sound in a word.

Hook: Students will play phonemic awareness game, “Duck, Duck, Goose” (they are familiar with it) using onset/rime for rhyming words from “Sheep in a Jeep”.  In this game I will “duck” one student by saying the onset “/sh/” and then “duck” another student with the rime “-eep” and that student must then put the pieces together to figure out the word is “sheep”.  Once they guess the word, I will give them a card with the word on it and they must read and spell the word.  Then they will have to match it to the proper rhyme category on the board. For example, -eep/-eap or –ud, or –elp.  This will allow us to categorize the rhyming words and look at why the particular words in each group rhyme. Students will be given words based on their ability to ensure all students can and do participate. 

Activities:

1. After the game of “Duck, Duck, Goose”, the rhyming words from “Sheep in a Jeep” will all be in their appropriate category on the board.  I will review how changing the first letter sound (sometimes 2 letters /st/ or /sh/) only, makes words rhyme.  For categories like –eep/-eap where the endings are different spellings, I will emphasize that different vowels grouped together can make the same sound, so even though they have different letters in the end, e-e-p and e-a-p, the words still sound the same at the end, therefore they go in the same category and rhyme.

2. I will then tell students that all the words on the board are from one book.  Someone will probably guess “Sheep in a Jeep”.  If not, I will just take the book out to show them.

3. I will have sentence strips written out of the entire story so the students can follow along with the words as I read the story.

4. I will ask the students prior to reading the story what an author and an illustrator each do.  Afterwards I will ask students to tell me the characters in the book (sheep and pigs) and the setting of the story (outside in a jeep, on a hill, in mud)

“Why did the sheep yelp for help?”

“How did the sheep’s jeep get out of the mud?”

“How could the sheep have stopped the accident from happening?”

“What did the sheep do with the jeep in the end?”

5. We will then read the sentence strips together using our rhyme categories to decipher words the students don’t know- this will show how helpful rhyming words can be.

6. We will review the beginning, middle and end of the story.  Students will be asked to raise their hand to explain a part of the story that happened at each the b/m/e.

7. I will explain the worksheet the students will be doing based on the b/m/e before handing it out to them (attached).  Students will complete the worksheet individually; there will be 3 pictures from the story on the page, one each from the b/m/e.  Next to each picture the students must copy the correct sentence from the sentence strips that matches with that part of the story to summarize the b/m/e.

Closure:

As a review we will sing the name song (Delia, Delia, Bo-Belia, Banana Fana Fo-Felia, Mi My Mo-Melia, Delia) using the students’ name.  I will write one on chart paper to show the students how you can change just the first letter sound in a word to make it rhyme, and nonsense words are allowed because it can still rhyme with the real word.  Remind them that Dr. Seuss liked to do that a lot with nonsense words.

Students will then be given a blank version of the song to fill in their own name and the nonsense rhymes to show they understand the changing of the first letter to fit their name and rhymes into the song (attached).

Individualization: I will give students the onset/rime for words depending on their skill level (lower level learners will receive /g/-o, for “go” while higher level learners will receive /sh/- rug for “shrug”, which is slightly more difficult) during the “Duck, Duck, Goose” game. 

I will include visuals of the rhyming words as they are categorized on the board as well as visuals of the sentences from the story on the sentence strips.  In addition to the sentence strips being up for visual learners I will read the book and then have the students read along a second time for auditory learners.

I will also review with the students the beginning, middle and end before they are asked to do the worksheet in order to make sure all students are following along and understand what I expect of them.

Finally, I will walk around the room while students are working on both worksheets to monitor who needs assistance and to make sure all students are staying on task and understand the assignment in order to complete it properly.

Follow-up Activities:  This lesson does not coincide directly with the curriculum used in the classroom so an easy way to follow-up on the lesson is to incorporate rhyming words into other lessons already in the curriculum.  When students learn a new letter they can use words they already know (such as their names) and use the new letter to make a rhyme with that word.  For example, next week when we learn the letter “L”, the students can rhyme their name using the letter “L”- Delia and Lelia.  With other texts we read, both for social studies or for the Letter People, students can listen for and name rhyming words they hear in the text.  Students can also practice writing and spelling rhyming words during center time; one such center has them use letter stamps to write words and they can use the stamps to make all “-an” words, all of which rhyme.

Attachments:

Beginning/Middle/End worksheet

Name Game worksheet